Chicken : 1kg, Large pieces
Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Pepper Powder : 1/2tsp
Fennel seeds : 1/2tsp
Garam Masala : 1tsp
Coriander leaves : 1Cup, chopped
Mint Leaves : 1Cup : Chopped
Green chilli :5
Ginger : 1inch piece, chopped
Garlic : 10pods, chopped
Yogurt : 1/2 Cup
Curry leaves : 3 spring
Onion : 4, medium sized, sliced
Tomato : 3, medium sized, sliced
For the Rice :
Basmati Rice : 1kg / 4cups
Ghee : 4tbsp
Cinnamon : 2inch piece
Cardamom : 4
Bay leaf : 1
Lemon Juice : 1tsp
Raisins : 3tsp
Cashew : 15
1. Clean the chicken pieces and drain well.
2. Make a paste of garlic, ginger, green chilli, mint leaves, coriander leaves,1Spring of curry leaves and fennel seeds. keep aside 1tsp from this paste.
3. Now combine it well with chilli powder, turmeric powder, Pepper powder, Curd, Garam masala and salt.Marinate chicken pieces in this masala for 1hr.
4. In a thick bottom kadai heat 2tbsp of ghee and fry one onion to garnish. add sugar to speed up the process. when its done add cashews and raisins. when its done keep it aside.
5. Now in the same kadai, heat oil and add the 1tsp masala paste which we kept aside.
6. Add thinly sliced Onion and saute well till it becomes dark brown in color. Now add tomatoes and saute them till it becomes a dark paste.At this stage add the marinated chicken pieces and combine well. Add 1Cup of water and cover the pan with a tight lid. cook till the chicken pieces are done. (chicken should be soft and should stay on bones)
Preperation of Rice :
1. Clean and wash the basmati Rice. Drain them and keep aside.
2. Heat a thick bottom vessel and add ghee to it. Now fry the drained rice for 1minute and add crushed cinnamon, cardamom, pepper cones, crushed bay leaf and cloves. Add enough boiling water to cook rice.
3. When the rice is 80% done, add some masala from the chicken + salt + lemon juice and cook the rice.
4. Turn of the gas when rice should be soft and not sticking to each other.
5. Now in a baking dish spread half of the chicken masala with its thick gravy and place half of the rice over it.after this layer, sprinkle some lime juice on top of this which prevents the sticking. Repeat the same procedure- spread masala first and then the remaining rice. Pour some ghee / oil from the leftover vessels.
6. Close the pan with aluminum foil and then put the lid and bake for 20-25min.
7. Garnish the biriyani with cashew, raisins, chopped mint / coriander leaves and fried onion slices.
8. Serve hot with any raitha, pappad, pickle, biriyani chammanthi or with thick yogurt.