Nothing says comfort more than a warm bowl of Tomato soup. It may be served hot or cold and may be made in a variety of ways. Today i am sharing my favorite Tomato soup with Fresh tomatoes. Somehow i felt the canned tomatoes are not giving the real flavorful Tomato soup. So ditch the can and try out my classic version of Fresh tomato soup by blanching tomatoes, removing the skins, then blending into a puree.
|Fresh tomato soup - Indian Style|
How to make Tomato Soup with Fresh Tomatoes in the traditional way ?
Cooking time : 15 min
Preparation time : 5 min
Serves : 3Ingredients :
Tomatoes : 4
Finely chopped White Onion : 1/2 of a Medium onion or 1 cup
Bay leaf : 1
Garlic : 2 large cloves, finely chopped
Dried Basil : 1/2 tsp or 2 fresh basil leaves , finely chopped
Sugar : 1/2tsp
Carrot : 1, chopped roughly
Beetroot : 1 large slice or 2 wedges (optional, but i use it always for the color)
Corn flour : 1 1/2 tbsp
Butter : 2 tbsp
Vegetable Stock / Chicken Stock : 32 oz / 4 cups*Salt and pepper to taste
Step by Step Directions of Fresh tomato soup:
1. Blanch your Tomatoes. Blanching is a heat-and-cool process. It stops or slows natural enzymes in the tomatoes that could cause loss of flavor and color. It also makes easy work of peeling the tomatoes.
|Blanching Tomatoes : shallow " X " on the bottom of tomato with a sharp knife|
3. Add the Tomatoes in to the boiling water and allow to boil for 60 to 90 seconds maximum. Immediately transfer the tomatoes into an ice filled bowl using a slotted spoon.
|Blanching tomatoes : Transferring the boiled tomatoes to ice filled bowl|
4. Remove the tomatoes from ice water when it cools. Now it is easy to peal the skin. Peel it and allow to cool.
5. Meanwhile boil the carrot and beetroot pieces in a pressure cooker and allow to cool.
|Blanched and peeled tomatoes are ready for tangy tomato soup|
6. Transfer the blanched tomatoes and cooked veggies along its water to a blender and puree it. Keep aside.
7. Heat butter in a soup pot or dutch oven and add the bay leaf. Now add the chopped onions and garlic, Saute till the onions are translucent. Stir in the tomato - veggie puree and allow to boil for 2-3 minutes. Add the sugar, chicken stock / vegetable stock and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
8. Combine corn flour in a small bowl with few tbsp of warm soup and make a smooth paste. Now add it to the soup and allow to thicken for 2-3 minutes. Add the salt and dried basil and turn off the flame. Transfer to 3 bowls and top with croutons or a dollop of Greek yogurt / Sour cream.
|Tomato soup with fresh tomatos|
Stock is the base of any soup. If you are using water instead of stock, you are missing the key ingredient of any stock - Celery. So if you are using water instead of stock, use a rib of celery stalk when you boil veggies.