All time favorite of all non vegetarians, biriyani is a highly seasoned rice cooked with chicken / Fish / Mutton / Beef, Egg or vegetables. My sister's favorite is this mild spicy Fish Biriyani.
Fish : 500g
Basmati Rice : 3/4kg
Onion : 2, Thinly Sliced
Shallots : 10
Ginger : 1inch piece
Garlic : 6cloves
Green Chilli : 2
Coriander Leaves : 1/2Cup, Chopped
Curd : 1/2Cup
Turmeric Powder : 1/2tsp
Chilli Powder : 1 1/4tsp
Fennel Powder : 1/2tsp
Garam Masala : 1/2tsp
Coconut Milk : Ist & IInd extract from a half coconut
Mint leaves : 10
Lemon Juice : 1tbsp
Ghee : 1tbsp
Coconut Oil : 1tbsp
1. Marinate Fish Pieces with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt for 30minutes.
2. Make a paste of shallots, ginger, garlic, green chilli and coriander leaves. Mix it with curd and 1/2tsp of salt and keep aside.
3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry the thinly sliced onions till they are golden and mix this with curd from step 2 and keep aside. Shallow fry the fish pieces in the same pan. Keep the fish pieces in the pan itself and let it cool for 10minutes.
4. Cook the rice in a heavy bottom vessel (i used pressure cooker). When its 80% done remove it from fire and drain well.
5. Add curd (from step 3) to the fish pieces and let it cook on medium flame (Add salt if needed). When its cooked completely remove from fire.
6. Take 2tbsp of above fish masala and add it to coconut milk To this add 1tsp of lemon juice, mint leaves, fennel powder and garam masala. Cook the rice in this masala in a heavy bottom vessel.
7. For layering add the fish masala first and then add a layer of rice along with some ghee and lemon juice. For better results you can make this layering in a oven proof vessel and bake for 15minutes.
8. Serve hot with raitha, green chutney / biriyani chammanthi, pappad and pickle.