This Vishu Special, Gothambu payasam is made from broken wheat cooked in thick jaggery syrup and coconut milk. It is garnished with golden fried cashews and raisins.
Directions for Gothambu Pradhaman / Broken Wheat payasam Recipe:
Broken wheat : 1Cup
Jaggery : 10 medium blocks, 188gms
Coconut Milk : 1st, 2nd and 3rd extract from 1 coconut
Water : 1Cup
Cumin Powder : 1/2tsp
Cardamom Powder : 1tsp
Dried ginger Powder : 1/4tsp
Ghee : 1tbsp + 1tbsp
Coconut slices : 1/4Cup or cashews : 10 & Raisins : 10
1. Clean and pressure cook broken wheat with 1/2cup to 3/4Cup water and third extract of the coconut (thin coconut milk11/2Cup) for 1whistle and keep aside for 5minutes.
2. Make jaggery syrup with 1cup water. Strain and mix this with cooked broken wheat. Add 1tbsp ghee and keep stirring till it starts to stick to the bottom of vessel.
3. At this stage add the second extract of coconut milk and combine slowly. When it boils and starts to become thick, add the first extract of coconut milk and cook on low flame for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the cardamom powder, cumin powder and dry ginger powder and combine well. Turn off the flame.
4. Heat ghee and golden fry coconut slices or cashews and raisins. Add this along with the ghee to the hot Kerala godhambu payasam / lapsi kheer / Dalia Kheer and combine well.