How to make Crispy, puffed Poori / Puri ?
Here is my answer with this beautiful picture :)
Wheat Flour / Atta : 2Cups
Rava / Semolina : 2tsp or Rice Flour : 2tsp
Warm Water : 1/2Cup, mixed with 1/2tsp salt and 1tsp oil
Oil : to deep fry
1. Combine atta and rava in a bowl. Slowly add salted warm water and incorporate the ingredients. Knead for 7minutes until its soft and elastic. Now make 20 small balls from it and roll out to small circles.
Tip 1. Do not allow the dough to sit as we do for chappathi's. This action makes puri's to absorb oil.
Tip 2. Do not roll out to thin pooris which makes them hard and flat.
2. Heat oil in a small kadai. Add Poori's one by one before the oil starts to smoke. After putting the poori in oil, wait till it comes to the surface. When it comes, Press the poori's with the deep frying strainer or any other utensil and keep ladling / shake in the hot oil on the surface slowly. This helps the poori's to puff up. Turn it to the other side and fry well. Transfer it to a paper towel to drain off any oil.
Kerala Style Potato masala for Poori's / Chappathi's
Ingredients for Kerala Potato Masala :
Potatoes : 3, peeled, diced
Onion : 1, thinly sliced
Ginger : 1/2 inch piece, finely chopped
Green chillies : 4, slitted
Turmeric powder : 1/4tsp
Curry Leaves : 2springs
Mustard Seeds ; 1/2tsp
Urad daal : 1/2tsp
Coconut oil : 2tsp
1st 2nd and 3rd extract of Coconut milk from 1/2 of a coconut or 1cup water
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urad daal and saute till it becomes light brown. Now add onion, ginger and green chillies.
2. When onion turns to translucent, add turmeric powder followed by potatoes and salt. combine well and add 2nd and 3rd extract of coconut milk. Pressure cook for a whistle and allow it to release the pressure.
3. Now turn on the flame and cook till the gravy thickens. Add 1st extract of coconut milk, curry leaves and adjust the salt. Combine well and turn off the flame. Serve hot with Poori's / chappathi's
Tips : If you are using water instead of coconut milk, cook the potatoes in pressure cooker with 1cup water. When pressure releases combine well and slightly mash the potatoes and heat again till you get a thick gravy.