A pound cake is a traditional rich cake containing a pound or equal weights of each chief ingredients - butter, flour, eggs and sugar. Here i am giving both versions with egg and without egg by substituting bananas.
All purpose flour or Maida – 250 gms (2 ½ cups)
Sugar – 250 gms (1 1/4 cups)
Butter – 250 gms
Cocoa powder – 50 gms (4 tbsp or 1/4 cup)
To replace 4 eggs - 1cup pureed ripe banana + 2tsp baking powder
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Milk – as required, to adjust batter to dropping consistency - max ½ cup (I used about 1/4 cup)
How to make Eggless Chocolate Cake:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F).
2. Line the base of a square pan (8″x8″) or a bread tin with butter paper, or grease the base with butter and dust with flour till well coated and set aside.
3. Beat the pureed banana with the baking powder and set aside.
4. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Do this thrice for best results, and set aside.
5. Cream the butter and sugar well together for about 3-4 mins. Add the vanilla essence and beat well.
6. Add the beaten banana mixture to the butter-sugar mixture and beat well till it has been incorporated.
7. Now, add the sifted flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture little by little and beat well till blended smoothly.
8. Add adequate milk to achieve a batter of dropping consistency.
9. Pour batter into the baking pan, and bake at 180 deg C for 45-50 minutes or till done.
Recipe Courtesy : Edible Garden