A popular south-indian tea-time snack made with a thick batter urad daal(uzhunnu parippu) and raw rice(pachari) .
Cooking time : 10minutes
Makes : 10 -12
Urad Dal / Uzhunnu parippu : 1Cup
Ginger : 1/2 Inch Piece, finely chopped
Green Chillies : 2, finely chopped
Shallots : 4, finely chopped
Pepper Corns : 1/4tsp(Crushed)
Curry leaves : 1spring, finely chopped
Baking soda (to make the vada soft) : 1/4tsp (optional)
Salt to taste
OIl for deep frying
How to make a perfectly shaped Uzhunnu vada / Medhu Vadai?
1. Clean and soak urad daal for 2hours. Now drain completely and grind it to a smooth paste without adding water. (if you are using mixer grinder / blender, sprinkle water and grind it. but if you are using more water the consistency of batter changes and you cant make the shape)
2. To the batter, add remaining ingredients except oil and combine well.
3. Heat a kadai on medium flame and add oil. In a bowl, keep some cold water near to the batter.
4. Wet your palm in cold water and immediately take a small portion of batter. Slowly shake your hand in clockwise direction and you can see the batter turning into a ball. Now take it near to the kadai and press in the middle to make hole and drop it immediately to the oil.
5. Repeat step4 from beginning and fry all till golden brown and drain on paper towels.
6. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Notes to make perfect uzhunnu vada in perfect shape :
1. You should not soak urad daal / uzhunnu parippu for more than 2 1/2 hours, as it will cause to absorb more oil when you fry uzhunnu vada.
2. If the consistency of batter is thin, you can add rice powder (maximum 1tbsp) and make it thick. But it will make your vada hard. So use small amount of water to make the batter.