Cooking Time : 30min
Palak / Spinach : 12oz packet / 2Cups firmly packed leaves and tender stalk/ 1 bunch
Chicken : 300g / 2 small chicken breasts / 10-12oz
Onion : 1 large or 2 small ( 1/2 cubed + 1/2 finely chopped)
Tomato : 1, large, puree using a mixer grinder (or finely chopped)
Coriander leaves : 1/4cup, chopped
Green chilly : 2
Ginger : 1/2 inch piece
Garlic : 4-5, finely chopped
Vinegar / yogurt : 2tbsp
Pepper powder : 1/2tsp
Chilly powder : 1/2tsp
Garam Masala : 1/2tsp
Cumin Powder : 1/2tsp + 12tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4tsp + 1/4tsp
Coriander powder : 1tsp
Kasoori methi : 1/2tsp
Bay leaf : 1
Cinnamon stick : 1inch
Cream: 1/4Cup (I used 1/4cup half and half, you can use any thickening agent like coconut milk / yogurt - it should work the same)
Vegetable oil : 1/2tsp + 1tbsp
1. Marinate chicken with vinegar / curd, 1/4tsp turmeric powder, pepper powder, Cumin powder, chilly powder and salt. Keep refrigerated for 2hrs- 8hrs.
2. Add 1/2tsp oil to the kadai and saute the cubed onion(half of a large onion) for 2-3minutes. allow to cool. Transfer the cleaned palak / spinach leaves to a microwave bowl and microwave for 2 minutes*. Allow to cool. Now make a paste of these palak and onion and keep side.
4. Heat 1tbsp oil in the kadai and add the bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Add the finely chopped onion(1/2 of a large onion) and saute till it turns to translucent. Now add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute for 2-3minutes and add tomato puree. Stir fry till the oil separates and then add the coriander powder, 1/2tsp cumin powder, kasoori methi powder and garam masala.
5. Add the marinated chicken pieces to the kadai and combine well. Cover and cook till the chicken is done. Now add the palak and onion puree, coriander leaves and stir well. When the gravy starts to become thick, add the cream and cook for 2 minutes in low flame.
6. Serve hot with naan / chappathi / paratha.
1. If you are not using microwave to blanch the spinach leaves, add spinach to the boiling water and cook for a minute and then drain. then continue with step2.
2. I recommend to use cream / half and half to get the exact texture for a north Indian gravy