Few months back i experimented with my dosa bater by giving it a twist on rice. Instead of regular white rice i used short grain brown rice. It was a hit in my family and when i counted the calories per serving i was convinced that was a healthy choice.
|Homemade dosa with short grain brown rice|
Recipe for Healthy brown rice dosa with short grain rice:
Serving Size : 2 dosa, Cooking time : 4min, Serves : 8-10Adults, Calories : 365 per serving
Short grain Brown Rice : 4 cups
Urad dal/ uzhunnu parippu : 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds / uluva : 1 tsp
Cooked rice : 1cup, i used fresh rosematta rice
Salt as needed
Brown Rice Dosa Batter Preparation :
1. wash and soak brown rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 4-5 hours.
2. Transfer to a wet grinder/ mixer and grind for 2- 3 minutes. Now add remaining ingredients and grind into a smooth batter by adding enough water. As i don't have a wet grinder i used my nutri bullet high-speed blender.
3. Transfer the smooth brown rice dosa batter in to a large container , Cover with a tight lid and allow to ferment for 6 to 8 hours/ over night. Fermentation of homemade brown rice dosa batter depends on the climate of your place. In colder places, you can leave it inside the oven with the oven light on.
4. After fermentation, mix well and make dosa as you normally do. Heat a tawa, smear little oil on the top. Add a ladle of the brown rice batter in the center and spread it in a circular motion.
5. Drizzle ghee if you need. When it is roasted, start lifting up from the corners and flip it over to the other side and cook for 1 more minute.
6. Serve hot with chutney / sambhar.
a) My cousin Anju Uses Poha / Aval / beaten rice instead of cooked rice to make the iddli / dosa batter. Soak Poha/aval in water for 5minutes and add along with the rice to grind. You will get exactly the same results :)
b) Do not use old refrigerated cooked rice to make idli / brown rice dosa batter. Remember you will keep it outside for fermentation then in refrigerator for minimum 2 days, so make sure you use fresh cooked rice.
You might also like,