Eating outdoors is special for kids, so today i made these ulli vada / Onion Pakoda for an after-school picnic in park.
Kerala Ulli vada / Onion Pakoda / Tea shop special ulli vada / Onion Fritters
Preparation time : 15min, Makes 25 Ulli vada, Serves :
Onion : 3 large / 1.5lbs / 725g
Besan / Chick Pea Flour / Kadala Mavu : 2 1/2 Cups
Rice Flour / Arippodi : 1/2 CupBaking Soda : 3/4 Tsp
Salt : 2 Tsp (Add according to your taste)
Chilly powder / Mulaku podi : 2 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Ginger paste / Grated Ginger : 1 tsp
Green Chilli : 2, Thinly sliced
Curry leaves : 2 Springs, finely chopped
Oil for deep frying
1. Combine all the dry ingredients - Besan / Chick pea flour, Rice flour, Baking Soda, salt, chilli powder and Turmeric powder in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add enough water to make a thick batter.
3. Slice the onion as thinly as possible. Add the onion to the batter.
4. Add the chopped curry leaves, green chillies and grated ginger to the batter.
5. Combine everything well. Adjust the salt.
6. Heat enough oil in a cast iron skillet / frying pan. Add spoonful of batter to the hot oil and fry ulli vada till its golden brown.