Kozhukattai is one of the most popular breakfast recipes of Kerala, it is also known as Modakam. As kids we used to call them cannon balls :)
Rice Flour : 1 1/2Cup
Grated Jaggery : 1Cup
Water : 1 3/4Cup
Ghee : 1tsp
Cardamom Powder : 1/2tsp
Shredded Coconut : 1/2Cup
Salt : 1pinch
1. Make "Sarkkarappavu" by melting jaggery with enough water. Melt jaggery on a medium flame for 15minutes. Filter this when it becomes cool. Heat it again on a low flame to make it thick.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add shredded coconuts, jaggery liquid (from step1), and cardamom powder and mix well.
3. Allow water to boil in a heavy bottom vessel and add salt and rice flour (tip: stir continuesly to avoid lumps).
4. When water is absorbed completely transfer it to another bowl and wrap with a white cloth (optional)
5. Allow the dough to cool and then knead it well with your hands.
6. Rub ghee / gingelly oil in your hand and make fine balls from the dough.
7. After flattening the ball in your hands put 1tbsp of coconut-jaggery mixture (sarkkarappavu) and gently fold the sides inwards so that it becomes a ball again. Continue to make kozhukkattai from the remaining dough and jaggery-coconut mixture.
8. In a steamer / appa chembu cook for 15-20minutes. Serve hot as a breakfast / Tea time snack / sweet.