Basmati rice : 2Cup
Cinnamon : 2inch piece, crushed + 1/2 inch piece
Cardamom : 5pods + 2
Pepper : 4
Cumin seeds : 1/2tsp + 1/4tsp
Cloves : 5 + 2
Coriander seeds : 1/2tsp + 1/4tsp
Mint leaves : 10
Coriander leaves : 5bunch, chopped
Onions : 1 1/2, medium, thin sliced
Turmeric powder : 1pinch
Lime juice : 2tsp
Curd : 1/4Cup
Oil : 5tsp
Ghee 3tsp + 6tsp
To marinate :
Shrimp \Prawn shelled and deveined : 500g
Green chillies/Ginger/Garlic paste : 1 1/2tsp
Red chilly powder: 2 1/2tsp
Turmeric Powder : 3/4tsp
Yogurt : 1/4cup
To Garnish :
Cashew : 25g
Onion : 1/2, sliced
Green Peas : 1/4Cup(Optional)
Ghee : 3tsp
1. Clean the shrimp and pat dry it.
2. Marinate shrimp in Red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, yogurt and green chilli/garlic/ginger paste. Keep in refrigerator for minimum of 4 hours.
3. In a saucepan, heat 3tsp ghee and 5tsp oil. Add 2pods cardamom, 2cloves, 1/4tsp cumin seeds, 1/4stp coriander seeds. Now add the marinated shrimp and shallow fry it. Keep aside the fried shrimps.
4. Wash and soak rice for 15minutes. In the same Saucepan heat 6tsp ghee and add thinly sliced onions and pinch of salt. Saute until golden brown and remove from the oil and set aside.
5. Now add the shallow fried prawns, 1/4 cup curd, thinly sliced onions(Step 4), and a pinch mint and coriander leaves. Cook for 4 to 5minutes in low flame and combine it well. Add salt if needed. Keep aside.
6. In the same pan, Boil the rice separately in 4Cups of water with whole spices and salt in the same sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cover pan with a tight lid. When the rice is 80% done, drain the rice in a strainer\colander or remove the lid and let it become dry.
7. Now in a steamer make layers using rice and shrimp masala. Add lime juice. Cover tightly and Cook for 5minutes.
8. Mix Layers. If you want to make it colorful add boiled peas.
9. Now to garnish the biriyani, in a saucepan heat ghee and add cashews and then raisins. Roast it and keep aside. Add the onion slice and fry them till it becomes brown in color.
10. Before serving mix completely and garnish with the onion, cashew and Raisins ans 2 to 3 shrimp on top.
I am sending this to Ravishing Rice started by Nags and Meeta.