Indulge your taste buds and do justice to your heart with this delicious Tomato pickle cooked in Extra Virgin Olive oil.
Today i am giving you an easy to follow Andhra tomato pickle recipe, with the ingredients you can find in your pantry at any time. I had this delicious pickle at our close friend Saranya's home with her super soft Iddli's. I asked her to get pickle recipe from her mother in law who prepared it. But like most of the mothers she couldnt give the quantity of the ingredients, but i got an idea of how to make it. Luckily it came out well in the first try itself. This is a refrigerator pickle like my garlic pickle recipe and goes well with Iddli / Dosa / curd rice / Pongal / Biriyani etc.
|Healthy Andhra Tomato Pickle recipe using olive oil|
Olive oil Andhra Tomato Pickle / Andhra Tomato Pachadi / Tomato Thokku Recipe
preparation time : 10min, Cooking time : 60min, Difficulty level : easy
Tomato : 4 lbs / Approximately 2kg
Turmeric powder : 3/4 tsp
Chilly powder : 2 1/2 tbsp
Jaggery : 2 blocks
Tamarind : 1/2 cup approx soaked in 1/2 cup warm water
Olive oil : 1tbsp
Salt : 2 tbsp ++
For Tampering :
Mustard Seeds / Kaduku : 1 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds / Uluva: 1 tsp
Urad Daal / uzhunnu parippu : 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds / Nalla Jeerakam : 1tsp
Garlic : 2 whole pods, finely chopped
Ginger : 1 inch, finely chopped
Curry leaves : 2 springs
Asfoetida / Hing / Kaayam: 2 tsp
Olive oil : 4 tbsp
How to make Andhra Tomato pickle in a healthy way?
1. Wash tomatoes under cold running water and Keep aside. Alow to dry completely. Cut each tomatoes into half and then slice into 5 or 6 long pieces.
2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy bottom vessel and add the sliced tomatoes. Cover and cook for 40 minutes or until its a slightly thick chunky sauce.
3. Squeeze the tamarind fully and filter it to remove the impurities. Add this to the cooked tomatoes. Adjust the tamarind to suit your taste.
4. Cook till the water from tomatoes are 80% absorbed. Now add the turmeric powder, Jaggery, Chilly powder, salt and saute in medium to high flame for few more minutes. Turn off the flame.
5. Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a separate kadai / Tadka pan and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters add the Fenugreek seeds and saute till it turns to red. Now add urad daal, cumin powder and dried red chilies. Saute for 2 minutes and then add the curry leaves. Turn off the flame and add Hing / Asfoetida powder. Add this Tadka to the cooked tomato pickle mixture and combine well.
|Healthy Andhra Tomato Pickle in olive oil|
7. Transfer the Tomato pickle to an air tight glass container when it is really cool and add enough oil to cover the top surface of pickle. (1/2 tbsp ). Pickle stays fresh in room temperature for 2 days and stays up to 3 - 5 months in refrigerator. Make sure you use clean, dry spoon each time to take the pickle.
Similar posts :